Friday, August 10, 2012

Rabbits!

The wild rabbits in the neighborhood have been behaving in a most unneighborly manner. They have taken to visiting my garden patch and taking one bite from a tomato and leaving the remainder. Now, I do not mind sharing even the ripest of my veggies but I do take exception to such wasteful behavior. I left several on the edge of the garden in the event that some mommy rabbit would come along and encourage those young'uns to clean their plates. For the first time in my life I find myself identifying more with Mr. McGregor than with poor Peter and his brothers and sisters. Wasteful bunnies!


Speaking of bunnies, we do have some new additions to the household. Earlier in the summer we had a tragedy when our heavy bunny hutch was knocked over during a storm. Sadly, one of our bunnies died. This week we decided to replace him and to be honest we went a little nuts!

This is Marshmallow. She is a Lop mix. We have had her for awhile.

A new baby! This is a little mixed breed bunny. He is named Dash in honor of the Olympics.

Here is Dash again with our new Californian baby. She is named Cali. Dash and Cali are about eight weeks old. Cali will get up to 9-10 lbs.

The rabbits are an excellent way to provide fertilizer for the garden. My girls enjoy keeping them and taking care of them. After we got the two babies, we ended up bringing home another Mini Rex male. his name is Peter. I will post pictures of him later. He is a very tame fella who was slated to be a pet in a daycare center. They said he was stressed and I am sure that is true. Call me crazy but I am guessing an animal that is prey for nearly every meat eating animal everywhere is not going to be comfortable around a lot of noise and activity. That is one of the reasons our rabbits are housed outside and in secure cages away from the dogs. We don't want them stressed and unhappy. So here is to beautiful plants and flowers next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment