Friday, September 2, 2011

A new box of crayons....

Getting ready for back to school. It happens this coming Tuesday. I was commiserating with my sister, whose youngest is going to be a senior this year, about how time flies. I remember the day we put our rising senior on that bus for her first day of kindergarten. ((sigh)) Yes, time certainly does fly.
My husband and I enjoyed some of the freedom afforded having the elementary school "upperclassmen". At school orientation we were allowed to simply go our own way. We met the teachers, picked up our packet of parent homework (sheesh, such a load of paperwork to fill out every year) and purchased our new tie dyed school t-shirts. We are set. No need to make that appearance to the gym for that long dreary and dragged out version of orientation. Whew!
And so our girls are growing up. They will be in third and fifth grade this year.  I've had my melancholy moments of missing the time when they were babies but something stopped me the other evening. I realized that I loved the time when they were babies. I also loved last year. And I will love this year. So I've gone back to the drawing board. I've opened my new box of crayons. I've decided to draw myself a new frame of mind. Instead of wishing for days gone by, I will look forward to the days ahead  and be happy. I will share with my girls the joy of blossoming womanhood.
I was quite amused the other day to hear my ten year old announce to her sister that she is not a child but "practically a young woman." Amused, but sobered, by the knowledge that this is indeed true. She is growing quickly into a young woman and I intend to be there with her to enjoy the time and guide them both every step of the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment